Friday, December 7, 2007

10 Years Ago.....



It's hard to believe it has been 10 years since my brother Richard's horrible accident, but this is a day I am sure we will never forgot. The day his whole life turned upside down. I'll never forget the first time I saw him in the ICU after I had flown home from SLC to see him the day after it happened. It was pretty hard to see him like that - but boy does he look good now! Unfortunately he still gets sick and gets sores and is in bed more often than he would like but I am amazed at how far he has come. If it wasn't for people like my mom and his caretakers, his life would be even more of a struggle. My mom does so much for him and I'm so glad she still takes such good care of him after so many years of doing it. For those of you who don't know, Richard is an amazing artist and has a graphic arts company - and for someone who doesn't have full use of his hands- he does the most amazing art work. I do good to draw a stick figure and he draws every detail! So To-To we just want you to know how much we love you and how amazed we are with what you can do. I'm sure life sucks for you more often than not...but we are so happy you are around. Life wouldn't be the same if we didn't get to come visit Uncle To-To in Vegas! So here's to remembering a horrible day I'm sure you would like to forget - but I am sure glad you survived!!!

We Love You!!!!!


7 comments:

nikki said...

I remember when that happened. I remember where I was when my mom called me and I remember visiting him in the hospital when I came home for Christmas. I know Jared is happy he is still around and so am I.

The Ririe's said...

You did such a good job on this Nik and it touched all of us. We are all grateful to have him around and he really has come a long way. Life just wouldn't be the same without him...especially for the kids!

Lindsey F. said...

I have such vivid memories of driving you to the airport that morning...in the snowstorm! It was sure an emotional day! I'm sure I don't need to tell you that. I can't believe it's been ten years! I love Richard...I really need to get over to see him more!

Adventures in Healing said...

Nikki- what a great blog! Billy called Richard that day and said basically the same thing to him (I know you'd like to forget but I know you're thinking of it anyway so happy break your neck but glad you're still alive day). He says it every year. Not many people know it, but that day for us was a turning point and it's when Billy and I really grew close and led to us now.

Doug and Dawn said...

I too remember that time and hearing about his accident ad how disheartened I was. I remember visiting him in the hospital and I know I wasn't as close with Richard as some other people are but I really felt for him. I am so glad that he survived not only the accident but the recovery afterwards. I can't imagine how different your life would be after something like that. I give him a lot of credit for doing the best he can and still doing something with his life and using his talents. Hey does he have a website for his design business. I thought it would be fun to check it out. I agree your mom is amazing for all she does for him.

Wynd said...

We are so lucky to be with To-To every single day! He has more than blessed our family and helped us realize just how important the little things are... I don't know what we would do without him. Nikki you said it perfect!!!

Nicole Cave said...

It feels like yesterday literally that this happened. Now we are all grown adults having kids...it is crazy!!